Date: February 10th, 2017
Did you know that February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month? While one in three women and one in four men will experience violence from their partners in their lifetimes, one in three teens will experience sexual or physical abuse or threats from a partner in one year.
- Only 33% of adolescents who were in a violent relationship ever told anyone about the abuse.
- One in six young men have experienced abusive sexual experiences before age 18.
- LGBT youth are more likely to experience physical and psychological dating abuse, sexual coercion, and cyber dating abuse than their heterosexual peers.
- 81% percent of parents believe teen dating violence is not an issue or admit they don’t know if it’s an issue.
- Young women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rate of intimate partner violence—almost triple the national average.
- Among young women who experience intimate partner violence, 94% of those ages 16-19 and 70% of those ages 20-24 were victimized by a current or former partner.
- Being physically or sexually abused makes adolescent girls six times more likely to become pregnant and twice as likely to get a STI.
- Violent relationships in adolescence can have serious ramifications by putting the victims at higher risk for substance abuse, eating disorders, risky sexual behavior, and further domestic violence.
- 43% of all college women and 28% of college men report having experienced either abuse or controlling behaviors in a dating relationship.
- 58% of college students do not know how to help someone who is experiencing dating abuse, and 89% are not confident in their ability to recognize the warning signs.
As part of Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month, this Valentine’s Day is Wear Orange Day 2017. Use the hashtags #orange4love and #loveisrespect when posting photos of you and your friends and coworkers wearing orange to show support and spread the message that Love is…Respect.
About the Author
As the Communications Manager, Allison Tomai Felsen manages the annual national conference and supports organizational communications and member services.