Job OpportunityDesign Researcher
Seeking a design researcher who has a passion for and strong commitment to our mission and guiding principles
October 20, 2021
Healthy Teen Network seeks a full-time Design Researcher who has a passion for and strong commitment to our mission and guiding principles. This position reports to the Director of Innovation and Research.
The Design Researcher will utilize their research skills to uncover meaningful human-centered insights to drive great design and innovations.
The Design Researcher will join our Innovation and Research team and utilize their research skills to uncover meaningful human-centered insights to drive great design and innovations for the organization and the field of adolescent sexual and reproductive health. This individual will contribute to the conceptualization, development, testing, and maintenance of new and existing products and projects. This position requires demonstrated experience in qualitative and quantitative research methods, using human-centered design (or Design Thinking) to build solutions (i.e., products, services, programs, etc.), and coaching others to learn and use human–centered design.
The Design Researcher will:
- Work with a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and fast–paced organization.
- Develop and execute research and evaluation plans including development of data collection tools.
- Recommend creative research approaches to uncover user and project needs.
- Gather, analyze, and translate relevant research to support various projects.
- Create compelling narratives in a variety of formats to articulate research findings.
- Coach and guide internal and external multidisciplinary teams using human-centered design methods.
- Facilitate research and synthesis, generating insights and opportunities for design.
- Create prototypes using various approaches and conduct user testing to refine concepts.
- Develop and execute interview and focus group moderator guides.
- Lead and contribute to writing reports.
- As part of a team, contribute to the conceptualization, development, testing, and maintenance of new products and evolution of existing ones.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, human-computer interaction design, social science, UX design, or related field. Or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of qualitative research experience with a proven ability to scope and translate research, design surveys and collect data, and support conducting and analyzing field interviews.
Qualifications and Mindsets
- Experience synthesizing research findings to uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire project design.
- Experience making research findings relevant and impactful for design through a variety of formats, such as insights decks, stories, videos, experiences, and exhibits.
- Experience facilitating ideation sessions with diverse groups of stakeholders informed by vast amounts of data, pain points, and insights to identify opportunities for design.
- Experience collaborating with researchers, developers, programmers, designers, and others to build prototypes and conduct user testing to refine concepts.
- Experience using technology and digital methods to uncover needs (e.g., experience conducting online focus groups, implementing remote user studies, moderating/monitoring online communities).
- Experience developing surveys and user testing instruments.
- Experience developing resources and writing reports.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- High comfort level conducting presentations.
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture, navigating ambiguity, and working with tight timelines.
- Attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple different projects at once.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in teams.
- Passion for learning and understanding the needs of diverse populations.
- Experience working in sexual and reproductive health or reproductive justice field, preferred.
- Experience using analytical tools such as Google Analytics and prototyping software, a plus
- Experience managing products, a plus.
Healthy Teen Network offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package for employees, including individual and family health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance coverage; a 401K plan; and generous Federal holidays and vacation and sick leave. This position is considered an exempt employee. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, ranging from $65,000- $70,000.
The Design Researcher position is a remote position. When work travel resumes, this position will be required to attend occasional meetings, conferences, and other events, located in Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC, and in other locations across the United States.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through November 15, 2021.
For consideration, please apply online and submit a 1) cover letter (maximum length 350 words) explaining why this position makes sense for you now in your career, 2) curriculum vitae, and 3) portfolio showing examples of your work.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and strive for diversity among its applicant pool as well as within its staff and board of directors. We believe in equal employment opportunities for all, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetics, military status, veteran status, or any legally protected classification. It is our intent and desire that equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
At Healthy Teen Network, we believe that every young person has a right to live their authentic sexuality. And we see you, the professionals and caring adults, helping them do this. We know you do your best when you're connected to great opportunities and resources. That's why we're here...to help make those connections and support you. Read more about us.